Sunday, October 11, 2009

thirty: every day's a revolution

Today, I was wide awake at 8 AM.  So I cleaned the kitchen.  Guess I'm old now!

Thirty sounds old, but let's be honest.  It's set up to rock.  This is the prime of your life!  There is some (but never enough) money, freedom, vacation time, achievement.  I even have a boyfriend - that took almost the whole 30 years! - an apartment and some fool made me the boss of something.  HA!  It looks like I've done all the hard work already.  The pressure is off and I plan to accomplish nothing in the next decade.



I've done a lot in the last 2 years - moved to SF, became the boss, fell in love, moved in with the boyfriend, hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, figured out my finances, seen half my best friends married, and I even wear my hair curly now!  I would like to think that I've taken 29.99 years and soundly kicked their butts. 

My OCD loves to make lists, so I was thinking of Things to Do When I'm Thirty.  Some are grandfathered in from my "before thirty" list, but many are new.  They include

- Be unanimously elected Queen of Canada (that's a given)
- Consume less, consume consciously
- Get a dog!  Or lots of dogs!
- Maybe get a baby while out getting dogs
- Climb the Harbor Bridge in Sydney, Australia
- Visit India
- Cage dive with Great White sharks in South Africa
- Kiss the Stanley Cup (done in'94, but we need a recharge)
- Learn Spanish
- Watch more sunrises

My overall plan, as it has successfully been since 1979, is to never ever ever grow up.


"I'm just hanging on while this old world keeps spinning,
And it's good to know it's out of my control.
If there's one thing that I've learned from all this living,
Is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go."
- Jimmy Buffett & Martina McBride
"Trip Around the Sun"

2 comments:

  1. You make all of us at your alma mater (HTC) proud. This is beautiful! Happy Birthday and enjoy the rest of the ride, the best is yet to come. XO XO Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Shannon! I love love loved turning 30 in June - it is the best. Boyfriends and apartments and financial semi-security, yay!

    ReplyDelete