Tuesday, October 13, 2009

families cheating at board games

I have an awesome family that is in no way normal but in every way perfect.  My mom, dad and Shane each play a very specific role in my life.  It's more obvious because I don't see them often, and they always fit right where they're supposed to go.

My mom knows the truth about things.
My mom is extremely smart.  She retains all kinds of information, and uses it to form fiercely held opinions.  We often disagree, but I admire that her convictions are well researched and considered.  She's also not afraid to change her mind.  Her sources are delightfully old fashioned (Newspapers! Books! Even TV seems dated.)  She still VHS tapes her reality courtroom shows every day.  I can tell Judge Mathis from Judge Joe Brown just by hearing it blare over the sound of dinner cooking.  My mom is an information person - she wants nothing but the truth.



My dad knows the secret of life.
My dad always wanted us to be happy, no matter what.  He's laid back.  He is the supporter of dreams, of crazy ideas and even of occasional laziness masquerading as extra months in Thailand.  Opportunity, that was always my dad's goal for us.  The chance to do things he never did - and for him to come along.  When I was too Type A-Hermione Granger to see that straight As and team captains were not the only ways to succeed in life, my dad was the voice of reason, the voice of staying home from school once in a while or buying popcorn AND candy at the movies.  My dad sees the big picture, and wants to help everyone get there.



My brother knows himself. 
Anyone lucky enough to know Shane... well, you know what I mean.  The absolutely hysterical, completely fearless life of the party.  But Shane is also very serious.  He's extremely politically savvy (Shane vs. Mom is always fun) and really knows his stuff.  He's also passionate.  Anything he's ever done well, he's taught himself.  Big tasks, like computer programming and film editing.  He has surprising discipline and capability, but he only applies it where he wants it to go.  Directionality and focus - who would have thought?  Shane is completely happy with himself, even when he has to defend himself against the doubt of others.




How do you see your family?  I wonder how my family sees me.

No comments:

Post a Comment