Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Thoughts on Books: Queen of the Road

Queen of the Road: The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of Its Own Queen of the Road: The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of Its Own by Doreen Orion

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I started out hating this woman.  But I think she kind of hated herself.  She was like a bad 'Sex and the City' paraody - she couldn't shut up about shoes and track suits and martinis.  I think people tend to tone themselves down in print, the make themselves look better than reality, which turned me off even more toward Ms. Orian.  But as the book progressed and she eased up, I liked her more and more.  By the end, she arcs into a character you can understand, and she's come to understand herself.

The idea of the trip she and her husband take - one year cross-country in a converted bus - is unique and fun.  The luxury outfitting they do to their rig is amazing.  I enjoyed this tale, as soon as Ms. Orian and I both got over her desperate materialism and hysterics.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment