Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Best Books of 2009

I keep a list, which says I read 59 books this year.  Considering a lot of them were 700+ pages, that's not too bad!  My Amazon Wish List is well over 130 more titles, so bring on 2010.

Best Books of 2009
1) The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
Oh how I do go on about these books.  I'm counting all 9 that I've read as one entry, because it's pretty much taken over my life.  It's a big commitment, but among my favorite things I've discovered this year.

2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson series) - Rick Riordan
Thrilling end to a whiz-bang smarty-pants series - I actually laughed and cried while reading this (on the bus, of course).

3) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen (with help)
As hilarious as it sounds, and still it holds the rapture of the original story.  File under: Wish I had thought of this first.


4) The Magicians - Lev Grossman
Brilliant, meticulous and packing a few wicked surprises, I loved the idea of Harry Potter-esque idea a twisted tale for some very messed up high schoolers.

5) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz
Brutal and brilliant, with stunning prose, this book was transported me to a dangerous, fascinating place in recent foreign history.

Bonus: A Song of Fire and Ice - George RR Martin
To avoid scary the non-fantasy fans, I'm tacking this on as a freebie.  Less magic, more intrigue - this series reads like historical fiction from a world you've just discovered.  And there are dragons (only a little!).

Worst Books of 2009 
Caveat: I did not finish these books.  Life is too short.

Maps and Legends - Michael Chabon
I can't believe I just typed that!  This book of short-story memoirs read like a self-indulgent inside joke that I had no interest in getting.  Like watching someone else's vacation slide show - boastful and boring. 

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again - David Foster Wallace
See above.  No more uber-literary short story memoirs for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment