Sunday, April 25, 2010

Love in the Library: COMMITTED

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I found this book very fulfilling.  Gilbert is an engaging writer, and her perfect self-deprecation takes the edge of her neuroses.  And neurotic she is - far more than I could ever be. I really enjoyed learning the history of various marriage customs, the thoughts (or simple acceptation) of different peoples worldwide. The American story of Gilbert's own ancestors was especially touching, as it mirrors some of the hard-working immigrant panache that my grandparents exhibited.  Ultimately finding peace, Gilbert brings her readers full circle into know that everyone can accept love and even marriage.  You just have to find something in it that works for you, even if it's something no one else has ever found.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment